Need an Injury Attorney for a North Dakota Bicycle Accident?
When it comes to transportation, some people in North Dakota will always choose a bicycle, because it gives them the exercise they want and need. Bicyclists have the same rights as other motorists on the roadways, which means that other drivers should always be looking out for them. However, in North Dakota, citizens are no stranger to accidents. In fact, every 4 days, 1 bicyclist was involved in a crash. This is a bit more than pedestrians. Though those who ride bicycle need to be prepared for anything and ride along as safely as possible, many accidents are due to the negligence of other drivers on the roadways. If you have been injured, you may wonder how you can make a claim against another party and compensate for your serious injuries.
What You Should Do After a Bicycle Accident
After a bicycle accident, most people are not prepared for what they should and shouldn’t do. If you want to compensate for your injuries, you will have to understand how to preserve your case and collect the best evidence. Here are some of the ways to do this:
- You want to ensure that your bicycle is removed from the roadways as well as you, so that you are not further injured on the roadways.
- Record contact information of every party involved in the accident, and any witnesses on the scene.
- Capture the license plate number from the responsible driver. If the accident is a hit-and-run, it is imperative that you have the plate number, provided you’re able to collect it.
- Never try to negotiate with the driver on your own or take blame for the accident.
- Call the police so that they can check out exactly what happened and make up a police report that could be crucial in your case.
- Receive medical attention immediately. Keep track of all of your bills and documentation that you receive related to treatment.
Did you know that all of these steps are vital after a bicycle accident? Without them, it is will impossible for you to retain your rights when it comes to your case because you won’t be able to prove your damages to the court or insurance companies. Be prepared for everything.
Common Injuries in Bicycle Accidents
What are the most common injuries in bicycle accidents? Sitting at the top of this list are head injuries, with 47% of people involved in a bicycle accident sustaining some type of head injury that leaves lasting impacts on their life. In fact, brain trauma can sometimes be so severe that it leads to permanent disability, which can be chaotic for somebody who is very young. Here are some other common injuries that you may experience in a bicycle accident quite easily:
- Fractures of the mouth and jaw
- Facial contusions and scrapes
- Fractured bones
- Dislocated joints
- Road rash when thrown from the bicycle
Have you been injured in a cyclist accident by a driver who was not looking out for your best interests? This driver could be considered negligent depending on the outcome of your case and how the accident actually occurred – such as a drunk driving, distracted driving, fatigued driving, or another type of case. Negligence plays a huge role in your claim and you may be able to compensate for damages like medical treatment costs, lost wages, and more. If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, you should speak to an attorney as soon as possible to retain your rights. Work quickly to preserve your case and get the most out of it.